Job Title: Market Risk Analyst - Oil Liquids
employment type: Perm
Our client manages the global supply chain of agricultural and energy products, metals and minerals.
The Risk & Middle Office group is responsible for overseeing the trading activity, implementing metrics that quantify related performance and risk, and reporting relevant statistics and analysis to Trading, various Control groups and Management.
It is also responsible for analyzing, evaluating and approving structured transactions conceived by the Business Development and Origination teams. We cover Oil and Refined Products with major trading hubs across the globe. We are seeking a market risk analyst with experience in the above markets. Reporting to the Head of Market Risk and Middle Office, Oil Liquids in London.
- Oversee trading activity with the help of our Middle Office in the same location
- Form and communicate the state of affairs to Senior management
- Work with global peers within the Oil Liquids group to ensure that consistent controls and processes are in place across the teams.
- Ensuring that all P&L and VAR movements are fully understood, reconciling how market movements and trading strategies have interacted to create the changes observed.
- Use knowledge of the books activities to understand and explain commercial activities and strategies. Measure and providing insights into commercial performance.
- Manage the daily relationship with key stakeholders, including, Front Office, Middle Office, Operations, Finance and IT.
- Improve the risk analysis we perform on our trading activities by envisioning and introducing appropriate risk metrics.
- Perform historical/fundamental analysis that can help in the evaluation of trades and trading portfolios.
- Create analytical tools and models that automate our processes
- Oversee the origination activity from a Risk point of view, including: a) the creation of models for the evaluation of structured transactions; b) providing assistance to the originators and traders in improving suggested structures and complex deals; c) the review and approval of such transactions
- Respond to ad-hoc queries from the front office trading desk and other areas and provide real time support
- Assist in rollout of new commodities products through project work by testing the system's ability to capture new product and downstream feeds and implementing/managing system change when necessary
- You will need to understand position management and price risk for a physical commodities book, in addition you will be comfortable with stock processes and interaction with the asset.
- The candidate must have the ability to respond to any trading issues identified by the trader or senior management. As this may necessitate analysis and presentation of the issue, the candidate should be articulate and comfortable when discussing potential areas of concern with senior management of both front and risk management.
- Self starter
- Exposure to trading for a good part of his/her career (worked with traders or traded)
- Strong quantitative and programmatic abilities (R, Excel VBA, MATLAB, C++). Will be expected to actively contribute to analysis and automation. Reasonable understanding of systems and able to work with IT in providing direction for development and support.
- Knowledge of financial engineering: understanding of derivatives, futures, etc. as well as how these products trade on the relevant markets.
- Strong in risk management is essential, specifically in physical oil and products.